A new indoor sports surface should last for at least two or three decades under normal conditions. So, it might seem odd to consider planning the end of its life now, but starting with the end in mind can make a huge difference for the environment.
Not all sports floors are created equal when it comes to recycling; some contain materials that recycling centers reject. Installation can also have an effect. Some methods can make recycling difficult, if not impossible, by contaminating the floor with adhesive. Taking recycling into consideration before purchasing is the best way to guarantee that your floor stays out of overburdened landfills.
There are four environmental considerations:
- Materials - Good materials matter because they are the foundation of a healthy and sustainable floor. Look for natural materials, flooring that contains no heavy metals, and is free of chemicals restricted by the REACH Program and California Proposition 65.
- Manufacturing - Sustainable manufacturing is pivotal to solving environmental challenges. Look for a production site that is an ISO 14001 certified facility.
- Impact on Indoor Air Quality - on average, we spend 93% of our time indoors. For that reason, indoor air quality can have a dramatic impact on our well-being. Look for the lowest volatile organic compound (VOC) emission rates and one that is also certified asthma & allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and FloorScore® certified
- Reuse and Recycle - Taking recycling into consideration before purchasing is the best way to guarantee that your floor stays out of overburdened landfills.
Omnisports GreenLay™ overcomes the biggest obstacles to recycling and reduces waste in the process. Full adhesive installations can contaminate the flooring, causing it to be rejected by recycling centers and ultimately sent to a landfill. On the other hand, Omnisports GreenLay™ limits adhesive to only 2% of the surface area, minimizing contamination and making removal easier. Omnisports is also manufactured with good raw materials that any recycling center will accept. Even the GreenLay™ installation process diverts waste from the landfill. For example, an 8,000-square-foot gymnasium requires as much as 64 gallons of adhesive, but a GreenLay™ installation uses less than 1 gallon. The result is the same quality Omnisports surface with less waste.
Omnisports facilitates recycling like no other sports floor, especially when installed with the GreenLay. Other Greenlay benefits:
- GreenLay™ reduces installation time by an estimated 20%, minimizing construction delays and excessive downtime for your gymnasium.
- Moisture tolerance is higher than traditional installations. GreenLay™ can tolerate up to 15 lbs. or 92% relative humidity.
- GreenLay™ is less costly than moisture barriers. In most cases, GreenLay™ can solve moisture problems at a fraction of the cost.
GreenLay™ has revolutionized sports flooring installations to become the new standard for performance and environmental responsibility.
Source - www.tarkettsports.com